Wednesday, April 15

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times

We just got home from a mini-vacation to Vegas last night (just me and Craig, minus the girls - they're in Oregon with their dad for spring break). We had the best time, it was exactly what we needed. Then Craig went into work just after we got home, and came home an hour later with the news that he got laid off. What an end to a great weekend, huh? We are seriously stressed out about it and could really use some prayers and advice on where to look for a job. I will let Craig fill you in on the details though.


We drove down to Vegas on Sunday and stayed in the Excalibur (that's us in front of our hotel, above). Despite it being spring break, we got an awesome deal on a hotel we would have never otherwise been able to afford. After checking in we headed out to walk the strip. I've never been to Vegas except just passing through, so I didn't realize we would be doing so much walking and I wore flip flops. By the end of our 4 mile journey, I was ready to die! We had fun taking pictures and seeing all the sights though. On our way back to the hotel we even got to watch the water show outside the Bellagio. Here we are on The Brooklyn Bridge outside the New York, New York which was across the street from where we stayed.

The next morning we had signed up to go to a timeshare presentation. Not exactly what we would have chosen to do on vacation, but it got us a bunch of free stuff like show tickets, a gift certificate to a restaurant, and a 3 day cruise to the Bahamas, so we went ahead and wasted 3 hours of our morning. For lunch that day, we had to track down an In-N-Out Burger for Craig.

That evening we went to the Tournament of Kings - it included dinner that we had to eat with our hands (apparently they didn't have utensils back then) and a show with swordfighting and jousting. It was entertaining but definitely not worth the price they charge - I would have been disappointed if we had paid for it. Then came the best part of the trip (besides spending time with my sweet hubby, of course) - Phantom of the Opera. I saw it 10 years ago when I was living in New York, and I thought this one was every bit as good as the Broadway production. Neither one of us could take our eyes away from the stage the entire time, until the chandelier fell directly above us! We could actually feel the wind rush from it and it came within 10 feet of our heads! The show was absolutely amazing. I was almost brought to tears a couple of times. Those tickets were not free, however, we had bought pretty cheap tickets and when we got there they upgraded us to the 12th row for free!
We were bummed to have to leave the nice weather and come back to real life, but we had such a great time together. We can't wait to go back.

2 comments:

The Colby's said...

You should have brought back some In-N-Out to share!! Glad you had a great time - gotta Love VEGAS!!! (That's were Eric amd I went for our honeymoon!)
I am so sorry to hear about the job. We will be praying for you to find something even better!!! Let us know if we can do anything for you!!

Frisby said...

Hey, so I can't leave a comment on Stretch's DJ blog, but that one cake was UGLY!!! I can't believe someone had the balls to make that "wedding" cake for their friend. Maybe they were trying to sabotage the wedding?! Haha, and btw I also loved your engagement pictures he posted. I remember when you told me that story, priceless =) Can't wait to hang out this weekend, oh, so maybe we should do another bonfire?! Jeff said we need to have another bonfire soon, let me know what you think!